Compton College Corps
The Workforce Development department is excited to announce the AmeriCorps College Fellowship program, or "College Corps." It is the first state-funded service opportunity accessible for all students, including AB540 eligible Dreamers. The program helps make college more affordable for thousands of California students by allowing them to receive a stipend and education award for committing to a year of service. This first year, 6,500 college students statewide will participate in service-learning over the span of two academic years while tackling climate action, K-12 education, and food insecurity. Ten percent of the Compton College Corps will focus on impacting the surrounding technology desert with computer and technology support for community members.
In working with nonprofit organizations throughout Compton, Lynwood, and Paramount, we are seeking to recruit 125 students to serve their community. Fellows will receive a stipend for up to $7,000, and a culminating educational award (if the participant completes 450 service hours and is in good standing) of an additional $3,000.
Are you interested in joining the Compton College Corps Fellowship program for the 2022-2023 academic year? Community Partners can play a significant role in the lives of our Fellows, sign up today!
Please submit an application and await a response to participate in an information session to learn more about the program!
- Interested in becoming a COMMUNITY PARTNER? - Partner Interest Form
Your organization can benefit in the following ways:
- 15 hours / week of direct support provided by Fellows over one academic year
- Connections to higher education institutions in your community
- Access to training and networking opportunities provided by partner campuses and California
- STUDENT'S SIGN-UP - Compton College Corps Application (Opens 02/01/2023)
What We're Looking For
- Passion for working in partnership with communities to make positive change
- Flexibility to work in different areas and adapt to changing circumstances
- Growth mindset and eagerness to try new things
- Interest in connecting with and learning from peers and partners statewide
- Willingness to be an ambassador for the program on campus and beyond
What You'll Gain: Benefits
- Up to $7,000 living stipend (throughout service term) plus a $3,000 Education Award upon completion of 450 service hours
- Academic credit (customized based on your program design)
- A real-world job experience and skills to add to your resume
- Access to training, networking, and professional development opportunities
- Connections with Fellows across the state via a virtual community platform and regional events
- A sense of pride and accomplishment in working toward a common purpose alongside young leaders from across the state.