Interested in Becoming a Tutor?
If you feel you have performed well in a class, or have mastered a specific subject area AND enjoy helping people, we encourage you to support your peers by becoming a tutor!
- Enrolled in or completion of Tutor Training 200 (peer tutor requirement)
- Minimum of 1 semester of coursework at any college or university
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 in the discipline with faculty recommendation
- A grade of A or B in the course desired to tutor
- Enrollment in a 2 or 4 years college or university (peer tutor requirement)
- Proof of enrollment in at least 6 units and payment required (peer tutor requirement)
- Provide both individual and group assistance to assigned students in an established tutorial program
- Utilize prescribed materials and supplies as related to individual student needs
- Work with students with a variety of different learning styles
- Generate ideas, materials, strategies, and collaborative learning techniques to help students better understand course material
- Adhere to the L-SSC Tutorial Services Manual
How to Apply
You must fill out an SSC Tutor Application Form and, if you are a current Compton College student, have a faculty member complete the Peer Tutor Recommendation Form. Additionally, your application packet must include a copy of your transcripts (official or unofficial), class schedule, and resume. Please submit your completed application packet to any full time staff member in the SSC, or email all forms to the SSC Coordinator.