• MyCompton
  • Apply Online
Header Image
Compton College / Student Services / Support Services / Transfer Center / Transfer Definitions
Transfer Definitions

Articulation agreement - A written contract between two schools in which course equivalencies are agreed to by both schools. For example, on www.assist.org you can find course to course agreements (articulation agreements) between California community colleges and the CSU and UC system.

Assist - A Web site that has articulation information between the community colleges and specific campuses of the University of California and California State Universities. You can also look up CSU and UC transferable courses for any California Community College on this website. Anyone transferring to a UC or CSU should explore the assist website: www.assist.org

CSUMENTOR - This is the application website for the CSU system. Students may apply to the CSU system online by going to www.csumentor.edu.

GE Certification - Completion of the General Education Certification will allow a student to transfer to the California State University (CSU) system without requiring any additional lower division GE courses after transfer. Whether or not you have only completed courses at the ECC-Compton Center or if you have taken GE courses at other schools, you must make an appointment with a counselor to complete your CSU Certification.

General Education - A broad group of courses to include a wide variety of subjects outside a specific major; also known as survey courses.

IGETC Certification - Completion of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum will permit transfer to a campus in either the University of California or California State University system without requiring additional lower division coursework to be completed after transfer. Meeting with a counselor prior to requesting transcripts and prior to transfer is required to obtain IGETC Certification.

Impaction - There is more demand (more students) than there is room for students to be admitted to the University or within the specific major. Since there is such high demand for the spots in an impacted major, minimum admission requirements for that major may be raised. For example, an impacted major/program may require a higher grade point average.

Lower Division Courses - A term used to describe courses that are usually taught the freshman or sophomore year of college and are general in content. California community colleges can only teach lower division courses.

Supplemental Application - In addition to the University application, an additional application to the major department may be required. This is likely implemented at institutions where the major is popular or the institution is impacted. Supplemental application art typically located online through the major/department website. If they are not located online, contact that department for the supplemental application.

Transferable Coursework/Units - For information regarding transferable courses to UC, refer to the ASSIST website at www.assist.org.

Transferable GPA - This is the GPA that is calculated using the transferable courses, and is the GPA that is used for admission criteria at 4-year institutions. The general formula for calculating a transferable GPA is: Total transferable grade points divided by total transferable units. See your counselor for any assistance in calculating your transferable grade point average.

UC - This is the abbreviation for "University of California". Examples of UC schools are UCLA and UC Berkeley.

UC Pathways - This is the application website for the UC system. Online applications for the UC system are available at www.ucop.edu/pathways.

Back to top