Join the CalWORKs program today and have all of your required books, fees, and supplies paid for!
What is CalWORKs?
CalWORKs is the community portion of the California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids Act, which is a welfare reform program established by Assembly Bill (AB) 1542. The program at Compton College operates as a partnership with the County of Los Angeles, local business and government agencies. Assistance is provided to eligible students so they can obtain their educational degrees and certificates while gaining work experience that leads to sustainable employment.
What We Offer
CalWORKs funds are for the purpose of assisting parents and their children who are receiving Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) and those in transition from welfare to achieve long-term self-sufficiency through coordinated student services.
On campus, these services are offered through the CalWORKs Program which helps eligible students earn degrees and certificates while gaining work experience that leads to employment.
Additional student support services include:
- Career counseling: Assessment is available to help each student choose a career that fits personal interests and abilities.
- Academic advisement and assistance: Educational plans are required and are developed for students on an individual basis. The plans are designed to guide the student through each semester of the training program. Tutorial and remedial support is available as needed on campus.
- Work Activity Referral: The CalWORKs Work Study Program assists participants in complying with their weekly GAIN mandated time requirement and leads to proper preparation for their career.
In addition to scheduled class hours, students should include in their weekly schedule the time necessary to study and prepare for classes. Each student is expected to spend two hours per week in study and preparation for each class hour for lecture courses.
|8:00AM - 4:30PM||8:00AM - 4:30PM||8:00AM - 6:30PM||8:00AM - 4:30PM||8:00AM - 12:00PM|
Office Will Be Closed As Listed Below:
|Fall 2019||Winter 2020||Spring 2020|
Labor Day Holiday
Monday, September 2, 2019
Veterans Day Holiday
Monday, November 11, 2019
Thanksgiving Day Holiday
Thursday-Sunday, November 28-December 1, 2019
Christmas & New Year's Holiday
Tuesday-Wednesday. December 24, 2019- January 1, 2020
Martin Luther King Holiday
Monday, January 20, 2020
Lincoln's Day & Washington's Holiday
Friday-Monday, February 14-17, 2020
Friday, April 17, 2020
Memorial Day Holiday
Monday, May 25, 2020
Chat with a counselor and Student Services Advisor ONLINEYou can meet with a Counselor and Student Services Advisor now via chat. If the Counselor's and Student Services Advisors light is green, "Online," you can click on "Knock on Door." The following are reasons to chat online:
- Ask quick academic counseling questions- student educational plans are not a part of online chat
- Discuss general information about a certification and/or an AA/AS program
- Discuss general information about transfer admission requirements (i.e. CSU, UC, and/or private universities admission requirements)
- Referrals to other programs and services
Guided Pathways Counselor
CalWORKs Student Services Advisor
|Monday||-||8:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday||4:30-6:30 p.m.||8:00 a.m - 12:00 p.m|
|Friday||-||8:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m.|
|CalWORKs Main Line & Front Desk||2072|
|Dr. Michelle M. Garcia, Director of CalWORKs/TANF/GAINemail@example.com|
|Citlali Gonzales, Guided Pathways Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Aura Weber, Program Specialistemail@example.com|
|Libbyer Martinez, Student Services Advisorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ernest Argel, Program Technicianemail@example.com|
|Latanya Nevens, Lead Program Ambassadorfirstname.lastname@example.org|