FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE PROGRAM
By being part of the First Year Experience program students will gain knowledge of how to study and learn in groups; have access to vital campus and college resources; be able to explore a chosen major and create a career plan; interact in a multicultural environment; develop important study skills; and learn how to access and manage electronic information, such as e-mail and Internet.
The Top 5 Reasons You Should Join FYE!
- Students who participate in the First Year Experience Program (FYE) need fewer courses in English and math to successfully complete transfer-level English and college-level math than students who did not participate in FYE.
- FYE students reach the 30-unit threshold faster than students who do not participate in FYE, achieving 30 units nearly one term faster than students who were not in FYE program.
- FYE students are twice as likely to earn an associate degree within a three-year time period than students who are not in FYE.
- FYE students are more likely to persist into their second year at Compton College than students who are not in FYE.
- Last, FYE students are more likely to transfer to four-year university than students who did not participate in FYE
Statistics provided by the Compton College Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
Learn How to Be a Successful Student
Starting a new educational journey can be exciting and overwhelming. Whether you are transitioning from high school or returning after a few years of working, there are so many decisions to make and challenges to face. The First Year Experience program is a community based program designed to help you be successful in your first year of college life by providing a supportive, caring environment of educational and career services.
- Early Group Registration
- A Guaranteed Set of Classes
- FYE Bilingual Counselor
- Learning Community Courses
- Strategies for Success in College
- FYE Faculty
- Field Trips/Activities
- Peer Mentors
- Compton College Email Account
- Financial Aid Assistance
The FYE Program Provides you with a Supportive College Environment
- Studying and learning in groups
- Accessing vital campus and college resources
- Exploring a chosen major
- Creating an educational plan
- Developing important study skills
- Interacting in a multicultural environment
- One-on-One Counseling
- Learning how to access and manage electronic information such as email, the Internet, and library databases
For more information contact Corina Fonseca or Mario Hernandez at 310-900-1600, ext. 2758