Compton Community College District History
In 1927 the former Compton Community College was established as a component of the Compton Union High School District. In 1950, voters approved a bond measure separating the two, and the campus was constructed at the present site.
After many successful years, and following several challenging years, in June 2005, the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) announced its decision to revoke Compton College's accreditation. With this action, the ability to offer classes and grant degrees and transferrable units was terminated.
ACCJC Letter of Show Cause (PDF)
January 31, 2005
On June 30, 2006, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed AB 318 (Dymally) into law, giving the Compton Community College District (CCCD) a $30 million loan for recovery and the opportunity to partner with a college in good standing with the ACCJC to offer accredited courses.
ACCJC Closure Letter
June 17, 2005
On August 21, 2006, the El Camino Community College District (ECCCD) Board of Trustees approved a Partnership Agreement between the El Camino Community College District and the Compton Community College District.
The CCCD is governed by a voter-elected Board of Trustees for matters related to personnel, policy, budget and finance, and facilities. A Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is primarily responsible for operations of the CCCD such as budget, fiscal policy, and the administration of labor agreements, legal matters, bond management, facilities management and human resources.
Administration at the Compton Center is led by Dr. Dena P. Maloney, Superintendent/President of the El Camino Community College District.
Dr. Keith Curry is Provost/CEO. He serves under the direction of the Superintendent/President of El Camino Community College District for operations of the Compton Center; and under the direction of the Compton Community College District Board of Trustees for operations of the CCCD.