COMPTON COLLEGE Accreditation
Compton College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Commission on Recognition of Postsecondary Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education.
Accreditation serves the public interest by certifying that the institution meets or exceeds specific standards of quality. This certification is also used by the federal government and other entities to determine whether an institution and its students are eligible for participation in federal financial aid programs or other forms of financial assistance to institutions. The peer-based nature of accreditation helps to maintain the values of higher education, particularly the values associated with academic freedom.
To maintain accreditation, colleges complete a peer review process designed to ensure that eligibility requirements and standards are met. The review process occurs on a six-year cycle and involves a comprehensive Institutional Self-Evaluation Report prepared by a college team of faculty, staff, and students. A campus visit from peer reviewers follows.
On June 7, 2019, at 11:59 p.m., Compton College became the 114th California Community College and began to operate as an independent college under the authority of the Compton Community College District Board of Trustees, per Executive Order 2018-01 issued by California Community Colleges Chancellor Eloy Oakley Ortiz.
Compton College is now preparing for the next accreditation cycle, including a timeline for the new Institutional Self-Evaluation Report (ISER) and training for this process in fall 2021.
Compton College distance education substantive change Proposal
Compton College is now preparing a Distance Education Substantive Change Propoasl to submit to the ACCJC. This proposal requests approval to provide Compton College programs of study 50% or more online. This proposal will be presented to the Compton College Board of Trustees for approval on April 20, 2021.
Compton College Midterm Report
The Compton College Midterm Report was approved by the Board of Trustees on February 16, 2021.
A Virtual Town Hall was held on October 29, 2020 at 2:30 p.m. to discuss the Midterm Report. All college stakeholders were invited.
- Midterm Report Draft for Town Hall
- Midterm Report Town Hall Presentation
- Midterm Report Timeline
- Accreditation Action Plan
The following information provides the public with a comprehensive overview of Compton College's Process to Accreditation and the conclusion of the partnership with El Camino College.
Compton College Accreditation Update - August 29, 2018
On August 27, 2018, Compton College received notification from the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) that its Substantive Change Application: Change in Local Control, which was submitted on June 20, 2018, has been approved by the Committee on Substantive Change of ACCJC. The action letter from the ACCJC's Committee on Substantive Change is available here.
The CCCD then submitted a request to the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office for the issuance of an executive order declaring that Compton College will operate as an independent college under the authority of the Compton Community College District Board of Trustees. On August 29, 2018, California Community Colleges Chancellor Eloy Oakley issued Executive Order 2018-01 declaring Compton College will operate as an independent college under the authority of the CCCD Board of Trustees effective June 7, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. The California Community Colleges Chancellor Executive Order 2018-01 is available here. At that same time, the partnership between Compton Community College District and the El Camino Community College District will come to an end.
Initial Accreditation Status Granted June 7, 2017
At its June 7, 2017 meeting, the ACCJC granted initial accreditation status to Compton College; the action established Compton College as an accredited college. This action came after the ACCJC, Western Association of Schools and Colleges, reviewed the Institutional Self Evaluation Report (ISER) submitted by Compton Center and the report prepared by the evaluation team that visited the Center March 6-9, 2017. The purpose of the Commission's review was to determine whether the Center meets Eligibility Requirements, Accreditation Standards, and Commission policies.
After considering all of the written and oral material provided, the Commission acted to Grant Initial Accreditation to Compton College. Granting Initial Accreditation indicates that the Commission has determined that the institution is in substantial compliance with its Eligibility Requirements, Accreditation Standards, and Commission policies.
To view the ACCJC Action Letters, Substantive Change Application, or the Process to Accreditation documents, click below.
Executive Order 2018-01 (Letter from Chancellor Eloy Oakley) - August 20, 2018 (PDF)
ACCJC Action Letter: Approval of Substantative Change Application - August 27, 2018 (PDF)
ACCJC Action Letter - June 7, 2017 (PDF)
External Evaluation Report (PDF)
Compton College Receives Accreditation (PDF)
Compton College Quality Focused Essay Special Report (PDF)
Compton College Substantive Change Proposal - Change in Control of Institution Timeline (PDF)
Compton College Substantive Change Application (PDF)
- What is Accreditation?
- Accreditation and the Process Forward - May 2019 (PDF)
- 2017 ECC Compton Center Self-Evaluation Report
- Accreditation Summary Sheet 2017
- Letter of Eligibility from the Commission - March 26, 2015
- ECC Compton Center Eligibility Application - January 15, 2015
- Accreditation Eligibility Proposal Status Report - October 27, 2011 (PDF)
- El Camino College-Compton Agreement
- Chancellor Office Letter regarding Compton College - July 3, 2017 (PDF)
- Resolution 10-16-2018A (PDF)
- Agreement between ECCCD and CCCD - November 30, 2016 (PDF)
ACCJC Eligibility Requirements & Standards
- Eligibility Requirements for Accreditation
- 2014 ACCJC Standards of Accreditation (PDF)
- Dr. Barbara Beno Fall Professional Development Day Presentation (PDF)
- April 28, 2016 Accreditation Workshop Presentation (PDF)
- November 13, 2015 Accreditation Workshop Presentation (PDF)
- November 13, 2015 Accreditation Workshop Presentation II (PDF)
- October 16, 2015 Accreditation Workshop Presentation (PDF)
- September 18, 2015 Accreditation Workshop Presentation (PDF)
Communications from ACCJC
ACCJC ACTION LETTERS
- ACCJC Action Letter - January 26, 2018 (PDF)
- ACCJC Actions on Institutions - June 27, 2017 (PDF)
- ACCJC Action Letter - June 7, 2017 (PDF)
- Resolution of the Board of Governors California Community Colleges No. 2017-02
- Letter Reaffirming Eligibility for Compton Center with Timelines and Policy - June 17, 2015
- ACCJC Recommendations Resolved January 2010 and February 2011
- Letter from Commission - January 29, 2010
- Letter from Commission - December 14, 2009
- Letter from Commission - October 13, 2009
- Letter from Commission - June 30, 2009
- Letter from Commission - February 3, 2009
- Letter from Commission - March 28, 2016
- Letter from Commission - January 31, 2011
- Accreditation White Pages - August 4, 2010
- Letter from Commission - January 20, 2010
- Letter from Accreditation Task Force - January 13, 2010
- Letter from Commission - January 6, 2010
- Letter from Commission (Rubric) - September 9, 2008
COLLEGE REPORTS TO ACCJC
- 2021 Compton College Annual Report (PDF)
- 2019-2020 Compton College Fiscal Report (PDF)
- Letter of Eligibility from the Commission - March 26, 2015
- ECC Compton Center Eligibility Application - January 2015
- Accreditation of ECC Compton Educational Center: Communications Plan 2010-2012
- Accreditation Eligibility Proposal Status Report - October 27, 2011
- Accreditation Mid-Term Report - October 15, 2011
- Follow-Up Report - October 2010
- Substantive Change Proposal - October 2010
- Follow-Up Report - October 2009
- Follow-Up Report - April 2009
- Evaluation Report - October 2008
- ECC Self-Study Report 2008
- Progress Report - October 2007
- Progress Report - March 2007
- Substantive Change Report - August 2006
- August 9, 2006 ECCCD Letter to ACCJC - Substantive Change Proposal
- Progress Report - February 2006
- Focus Midterm Report - March 2005