Message from the PRESIDENT/CEO
March 18, 2020
I wanted to provide you with an update on Compton College in terms of COVID-19. The Compton CCD Pandemic Outbreak - Emergency Operations Plan guides our response to the possible scenarios that may occur as the COVID-19 situation progresses. As of March 17, 2020, 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time, the California Department of Health reports there are a total of 598 positive cases and 13 deaths in California (including one non-California resident). For more information, go to www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/ncov2019.
Compton CCD is now operating at Level Three - Moderate Infection Rate. Recent confirmed case(s) of a community member, and/or family member of student, staff, or faculty within the county. Today, the Compton College Pandemic Coordinators and members of the President/CEO Cabinet met, and below are some updates:
- All requisitions must be entered into the PeopleSoft system, approved, and submitted
to the Purchasing Department by 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 16, 2020. The President/CEO's Cabinet will evaluate exceptions on a case-by-case basis prioritizing
- My first decision associated with the state of emergency was to move our campus to
a telecommuting campus on Friday, March 20, 2020, at 4:30 p.m. through April 17, 2020. The following Departments' last day on campus and transition to telecommuting has
a. Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - Institutional Effectiveness, EOPS/CARE, and CalWORKs
b. Thursday, March 19, 2020 - Special Resource Center, Counseling Department, Guided Pathways - Student Services Advisors, Educational Partnerships, Child Development Center, and Athletics.
The Informational Technology Services Department is working with the Managers/Supervisors for each department to provide laptops to staff and access to the Compton College VPN as needed. More information on telecommuting will be provided in tomorrow's Compton College COVID-19 Update, including the transition schedule for other departments.
- Effective today, March 18, 2020, through Friday, April 17, 2020, the Abel B. Sykes Jr. Child Development Center is closed.
- All webpages should be updated by 4 p.m. Friday, March 20, 2020, to reflect the days the campus will be closed: March 20, 2020, at 4:30 p.m., through Friday, April 17, 2020. If applicable, remind students to check their @compton emails regularly and to use
the new Cranium Cafe chat cards if available, to contact individual offices and departments.
- Thursday, March 19, 2020, through Friday, March 20, 2020, the campus will only be open to employees and current students. The following locations
on campus will be open for students: Student Health Center (Thursday only), Student Lounge, Tartar Pantry, and the computer lab located on the 2nd floor of the Library-Student Success Center.
- The Student Health Center will be closed Friday, March 20, 2020, through April 17, 2020. We are working with the Student Health Center to identify alternative health services
while we are a telecommuting campus.
Compton College COVID-19 Updates
Please visit the Compton College COVID-19 webpage here for updates.
If you are experiencing distress or anxiety due to the current circumstances, please contact the Employee Assistance Program at (800) 531-0200. We will continue to work through many issues and concerns as it relates to COVID-19.
Keith Curry, Ed.D.
(preferred pronouns: he/him/his)