June 15, 2020
First, congratulations on the 2020 Compton College Virtual Commencement. I thought the event was a huge success, and thank you to everyone that was involved with the commencement ceremony. I want to congratulate Heather Parnock, Director of Community Relations, and Andree Pacheco, Director of Student Development and Athletics, for coordinating the 2020 Compton College Virtual Commencement. Also, I would like to thank the Admissions and Records Department, most importantly, Felecia Hatten, Evaluations Specialist for processing all the graduation petitions.
Over the past couple of weeks, there have been many conversations regarding the eventual return to campus for Compton Community College District employees. Today's President/CEO Message will address the Eventual Return to Campus Plan and provide the campus community with an update and our next steps.
In the President/CEO Message - April 27, 2020, I shared my initial thoughts regarding how we will operate as an organization following COVID-19 guidelines and practicing social distancing when we eventually return to campus. In my message, I mentioned we need to begin having conversations about our eventual return to campus, and address the following:
- How do we offer courses on campus, while ensuring social distancing?
- Do we offer athletics during the 2020-2021 year? If so, how do we manage spectators at athletic events?
- Complete a study of each office space to ensure social distancing options for all employees on campus.
- Determine how we provide laboratory/activity courses during the 2020-2021 year.
- Develop a policy regarding the beginning and end of classes to ensure campuswide social distancing in hallways and buildings.
In my President/CEO Message - May 4, 2020, I asked the Pandemic Coordinators to draft the Eventual Return to Campus Plan. Then in my President/CEO Message - May 15, 2020, I shared with the campus community the extension of alternative academic instruction and online student support services, and telecommuting through Friday, August 14, 2020. Furthermore, I mentioned we would continue to develop our plan for the eventual return to campus, including updating the Essential Employees Schedule.
In the President/CEO Message - May 22, 2020, I mentioned we would offer the majority of our courses online for fall 2020 with many career and technical education, physical education/athletic, and nursing courses offered on the Compton College campus. I also mentioned we would continue to develop our plan for the eventual return to campus, which will consider employees' work schedules, hours of operation, and compliance with the County of Los Angeles Public Health guidelines. Then in the President/CEO Message - May 29, 2020, I mentioned that telecommuting would conclude on Friday, August 14, 2020, for all employees, noting that employees will incrementally return to campus during the summer term, beginning Monday, June 22, 2020. Managers/supervisors were asked to assess their departments/offices in terms of individual workspaces to develop Phase 1 of alternating workdays to maintain social distancing for on-campus employees. Also, I mentioned that an updated Essential Employees Schedule would be posted online, for the first phase of employees who will return to campus in a limited capacity to increase functionality.
What is the status of the Eventual Return to Campus Plan?
The Eventual Return to Campus Plan is still being finalized based on the information the Pandemic Coordinators received from the managers/supervisors regarding the seating chart for their department/program, work assignments for employees, and any notes/concerns. Furthermore, we will add information received from faculty and staff who participated in the Pandemic Coordinators meeting on May 21, 2020, to the Eventual Return to Campus Plan.
On June 1, 2020, I submitted a letter to the County of Los Angeles Public Health Department seeking guidance for the following:
- Can we offer Allied Health and Career and Technical Education Programs that require in-person instruction in summer 2020 for licensing purposes and that have students close to completion? If so, what are the protocol for returning to in-person instruction? These programs include Air Conditioning & Refrigeration, Auto Collision, Repair & Painting, Auto Technology, Cosmetology, Machine Tool Technology, Nursing, and Welding.
- What is the protocol for returning to in-person instruction for Allied Health and Career and Technical Education programs for fall 2020?
- A determination that requires or allows the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health to review and/or approve the eventual return to campus plans for colleges/universities.
- What is the approval process for reinstating the Compton College athletic program for fall 2020, including student's participation in the athletic courses and engaging in athletic competitions with other California Community Colleges?
On June 4, 2020, I received an email communication from Eloisa Gonzalez, County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health, COVID-19 Liaison Team, indicating the County is waiting for state guidance about instruction before providing countywide guidance that would assist colleges with our planning.
As mentioned previously, all Compton College departments and staff will be asked to return incrementally throughout the summer, with proper notice provided by the District to each employee. Furthermore, your safety has been, and will continue to be our priority. Below are the next steps regarding the Eventual Return to Campus Plan:
- Finalize the Eventual Return to Campus Plan, utilizing the information provided by managers/supervisors. Once the Eventual Return to Campus Plan has been finalized, it will be shared with our constituent groups for feedback.
- Update and share the Essential Employees Schedule. The Essential Employee Schedule was updated today, June 15, 2020, and is available here. At this time, the Essential Employees are the only individuals allowed on campus.
- The District will follow-up with the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health regarding our June 1, 2020
- Prepare for faculty, instructional support staff, and students in the following programs: Air Conditioning & Refrigeration, Auto Collision, Repair & Painting, Auto Technology, Cosmetology, Machine Tool Technology, and Welding programs, to return to campus on Monday, July 6, 2020. We will need to assist 225 Compton College students' from spring 2020 who need to complete laboratory work. These employees and students will be on campus Monday, July 6 through Thursday, July 30, 2020.
To be clear, if your name and/or department is not listed on the Essential Employees Schedule, you are not required to return to campus on Monday, June 22, 2020.
More information on the Eventual Return to Campus Plan will be provided in future President/CEO Messages. Please note, COVID-19 information is provided every day and is always changing. We are closely monitoring the positive cases and deaths due to COVID-19 in California, and we are complying with the Compton CCD Pandemic Outbreak - Emergency Operations Plan.
Keith Curry, Ed.D.
(preferred pronouns: he/him/his)